Fish & chips, are you team takeaway or team fakeaway? Try this fool-proof recipe for your Friday night fix.
Oil, for deep frying
4 potatoes, peeled, cut into chips
1 1/3 cups self-raising flour
1 1/2 cups chilled soda water
600g ling fillets, cut into thick strips
Sea salt flakes, to season
Tartare sauce, to serve
Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Pour oil into a medium saucepan until 1/3 full and place over medium heat. When hot, add half the potato and cook for 12 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to prepared tray and place in oven to keep warm. Cook remaining potato.
2. Meanwhile, place 1 cup of the flour into a bowl. Whisk in soda water until smooth. Place remaining flour into a shallow bowl. Lightly coat half of the fish strips with flour, then coat with batter. Carefully lower into hot oil and cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining fish. Season with sea salt flakes. Serve with tartare sauce and lemon wedges.
Enjoy flavour without the fuss with our Easy Seafood Laksa. Ready in less than thirty minutes it’s the perfect speedy weeknight dish.
1 Tbsp peanut oil
1 bunch spring onions, trimmed, sliced
1 tsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp sugar
200g laksa paste
400ml light coconut milk
2 cups reduced-salt chicken or fish stock
250g rice noodles
1kg marinara mix
4 mussels in the shell, to garnish (optional)
Thai basil leaves to serve
Sliced chilli to serve
Lime wedges to serve
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add spring onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add coriander and sugar. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in laksa paste and cook for 3 minutes. Add coconut milk, stock, and 3 cups of water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes for flavours to develop.
2. Meanwhile, place noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 2 minutes. Add marinara mix to coconut broth, cover, and cook for 3 minutes or until just cooked. Drain noodles and divide between 4 deep serving bowls. Ladle laksa into bowls and garnish with mussels (if using), basil, and sliced chilli. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
NEW Snackachangi flavours have hit the shelves of your local SuperValue! Which finger licking flavour are you eyeing up?
Have you baked your Anzac biscuits for Sunday yet? Get the kids in the kitchen and whip up a batch for a fun school holiday activity!
1/2 cup Edmonds Standard Grade Flour
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup coconut
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 Tbsp golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon Edmonds Baking Soda
2 Tbsps boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, coconut and rolled oats.
3. Melt butter and golden syrup.
4. Dissolve baking soda in the boiling water and add to butter and golden syrup.
5. Stir butter mixture into the dry ingredients.
6. Place level tablespoonfuls of mixture onto cold greased trays.
7. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
Remember, some of our stores opening hours may be affected by the Anzac Day public holidays. Please find your local stores trading hours online.
Treat family & friends to a slice of genius this long weekend with our Salami & Herb Pizza 🍕 Have a bit of fun & get creative with your favourite toppings! What will you be cooking up this Queen’s Birthday weekend?
2 x 23cm (approx.) prepared pizza bases
1 tablespoon olive oil
6-7 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
50g sliced salami, julienned
8 pitted olives, sliced
finely grated Parmesan and oregano to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place oven tray in to heat.
2. Brush the pizza bases with the oil. Spread with the tomato paste. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and parsley. Top with the tomatoes, salami, and olives.
3. Bake on the hot oven tray for 15-20 minutes, until cooked. Sprinkle with Parmesan and oregano just before serving.
Getting out of bed on a chilly morning is never easy but these peanut butter oats will have you up and at ’em in no time.
2 cup Milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 ripe bananas
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp unsalted peanuts, dry roasted
120g quick oats
2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
1. Mash two bananas in a medium bowl. Add oats, milk, cinnamon and vanilla and stir to combine. Microwave for 2 minutes.
2. Add 1 tbsp of peanut butter, stir to combine, and microwave for a further 2 minutes.
3. Slice over remaining bananas, top with remaining peanut butter and sprinkle with peanuts to serve.
Oven baked perfection 👌 Wrap up the day with a mouth-watering family favourite, made with generous layers of roast vegetables, lasagne pasta sheets & a rich tomato sauce. It’s a great way to sneak in those veggies!
5 cups 1cm diced vegetables (approx 650g prepared vegetables) – a combination of pumpkin, kumara, carrots, parsnips
1 red onion, chopped
400g can Wattie’s Lentils in Springwater, drained
2 cups chopped spinach leaves, firmly packed
500g jar HEINZ [SERIOUSLY] GOOD™ Four Cheeses Creamy Lasagne Bake
8-10 sheets dried lasagne pasta
525g jar HEINZ [SERIOUSLY] GOOD™ Rich Tomato Lasagne Bake
½ cup grated cheese
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place vegetables on a baking paper-lined oven tray. Toss through 2 tablespoons of oil. Roast for approximately 15 minutes until vegetables are tender. Transfer vegetables to a large mixing bowl. Add drained Wattie’s Lentils and chopped spinach leaves.
2. Stir through HEINZ [SERIOUSLY] GOOD™ Four Cheeses Creamy Lasagne Bake.
3. Grease a 2 litre lasagne-style ovenproof dish. Place a layer of dried lasagne pasta sheets on the base of the dish to cover.
4. Spoon over half the vegetable mixture. Place another layer of lasagne pasta sheets on the vegetables. Spread 1/3 of a jar of HEINZ [SERIOUSLY] GOOD™ Rich Tomato Lasagne Bake over the lasagne pasta sheets. Spoon over remaining vegetables. Top with a final layer of lasagne pasta sheets.
5. Pour over remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle over the grated cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is bubbling, golden and pasta is cooked.